Tuesday, July 19, 2011

NSW Cup Round 19 - Match Report - Wests v Wentworthville

The form guide went out the window in this fixture.  In the previous round Wests Magpies recorded a strong win against Windsor Wolves whilst Wentworthville did it hard against Manly.

The Magpies went into the game without utility Josh Davis whilst Wentworthville fielded a very strong team with the likes of Daniel Mortimer, Jeff Robson, Chris Hicks and Carl Webb coming into the starting line up.

The game was evenly balanced for the first fifteen minutes with both teams trying to crack the defensive line but it was to be the home team who would break through for the first points.  The ball was carried forward by centre three quarter Karl Filiga who picked out Matthew Ryan who was backing up on the inside.  With cover defense coming across, he dived over in the corner to score the first of his two tries of the afternoon.  With the failed conversion attempt, Wentworthville took an early lead 4 points to 0.

Within minutes Wentworthville were in again when Karl Filiga threw a dummy before running untouched to the try line.  This time Joseph Paulo took the extras to increase his teams lead to 10 points to 0.

In the 26th minute, Wenty claimed their third try under similar circumstances.  This time it was fullback Henry Raiwailui who would cause problems out wide.  He stepped inside his opposite number before scoring midway between the corner post and the up wrights.  Paulo’s conversion attempt went close but still his team held a handy 14 points to 0 lead.

The Magpies responded almost immediately.  After kicking off, a strong tackle forced the ball from Wenty’s grasp.  After a couple of settling runs, Magpies fullback Jay Bonnell rolled the ball into the in goal area.  It was caught by wing three quarter Amanono Tovio who advanced the ball towards the posts.  Jay Bonnell’s conversion reduced the deficit to eight points.

The Magpies lifted in the 30th minute after they received a penalty for a stripping offence.  After taking the kick, second row forward Leivaha Pulu gained good ground.  In the next play, lock forward David Harris broke through the first line of defense before getting a sensational pass away to hooker Troy O’Sullivan who showed a clean pair of heals as he scored his team’s second try.  The conversion attempt was missed.  Wenty 14 Magpies 10.

In the final ten minutes of the half, the Magpies made a couple of crucial mistakes which led to tries.   The first was scored by Matthew Ryan who had

supported Ken Sio who had made a 50 metre break and the last try of the half was scored by centre three quarter Troy Savage who received a perfect pass from five eight Jeff Robson.  Junior Paulo converted both to help his side take a 26 to 10 lead into the sheds at half time.

The second half did not start well for the visitors.  After pressuring Wenty’s try line, the ball was kicked into the defensive line.  It was picked up by half Daniel Mortimer who ran 90 metres to the try line.  Paulo took the extras to increase his teams lead to 32 points to 10.   Within minutes, Mortimer was in the thick of things again.  This time he ran from dummy half before evading a couple of tackles during a thirty metre sprint to the line.  Paulo’s successful kick put Wenty further ahead 38 points to 10.

With 20 minutes left on the clock Leivaha Pulu charged down a kick on the half way line.  It bounced up perfectly for him before he ran 50 metres to score alongside the posts.  Prop forward David Fifita’s conversion saw the score line drop to 38 to 16.

Wentworthville hit back when they attacked the Magpies short side.  The ball traveled through several sets of hands to wing three quarter Ken Sio who capped off a good game by scoring one of his own.  Wentworthville 42 Magpies 16.

Showing plenty of spirit the Magpies fought on.  In the 34th minute, after some good lead up work, prop forward Mitch Achurch crashed over under the up wrights.  Rhys Lenarduzzi added the extras.  Wentworthville 42 Magpies 22.

In the 36th minute Wests forwards made good ground up the centre of the ruck.  After just scoring a try of his own, prop forward Mitch Achurch charged down field before passing the ball onto his front row partner, David Fifita.  After advancing further, Fifita passed onto centre three quarter Andrew Everingham.  Everingham looked like scoring before he wisely passed the ball to Aaron Sweeney who displayed a good turn of speed for a big man to score under the black dot.  Fifita’s conversion reduced Wenty’s lead to 42 points to 28.

With time running out, Wenty received two penalties on the Magpies try line.  They tried hard to hold Wenty out, but as the hooter sounded Henry Raiwailui dived onto the ball after Daniel Mortimer had rolled it over the Magpies try line.  Paulo converted the try from the sideline.  The final score was Wentworthville Magpies 48 Wests Magpies 28.

It was a disappointing end to the day for Wests Magpies.


Scorers for the Magpies.  Tries to Amanono Tovio, Troy O’Sullivan, Leivaha Pulu, Mitch Achurch and Aaron Sweeney.  Conversions to David Fifita (2) and Jay Bonnell and Rhys Lenarduzzi.

Scorers for Wentworthville.  2 tries each to Matthew Ryan, Daniel Mortimer and Karl Filiga with 1 try to Troy Savage, Henry Raiwailui and Ken Sio.  Junior Paulo kicked 6 conversions.

Player’s player medallion – Shared between David Harris and Amanono Tovio.

Leo’s best three – David Harris, Mitch Achurch and Amanono Tovio.

Next game – Round 20 3pm Saturday 23 July 2011 Wests Magpies vs. Central Coast, Campbelltown Sports Stadium.

No comments: