Monday, August 29, 2011

Wests Tigers beat Gold Coast at Campbelltown

Wests Tigers moved to the vital fourth spot on the Telstra Premiership ladder tonight with a resounding 39-10 win over the Gold Coast Titans at Campbelltown Sports Stadium.

In front of a crowd of 14, 378, Wests Tigers recorded their seventh straight victory with five-eighth Benji Marshall setting up four tries and scoring one himself. Head Coach Tim Sheens rested Marshall for the final 10 minutes.

Wests Tigers ran in 7 tries to 2.

The win moves Wests Tigers to 32 points equal with the North Queensland Cowboys but into fourth spot on a better points differential (17 points).

Wests Tigers are also now within one win of equalling the club record of 8 for most consecutive wins set on their way to winning the 2005 premiership.

Wests Tigers lost props Bryce Gibbs and Todd Payten through injury. Aaron Woods moved off the interchange bench to replace Gibbs with Ben Murdoch-Masila and Mark Flanagan added to the bench.
The game was just 3 minutes old when five-eighth Benji Marshall scooted out from dummy half to race 20 metres down the blindside before sending centre Matt Utai on a 40 metre run to score next to the posts.
Marshall converted the try for a 6-0 lead.

A superb two man cut out pass by Marshall saw winger Beau Ryan dive over in the right corner to score a brilliant try on the last tackle in the 15th minute for a 10-0 lead. Marshall failed to convert the try from the sideline.

Marshall brought up 800 career points when he got on the end of a break by prop Aaron Woods to race 20 metres acrossfield in a stepping run to score a sensational try next to the posts. Marshall converted the try for a 16-0 lead after 21 minutes.

Video referee Sean Hamsptead was called on in the 28th minute to rule whether Gold Coast five-eighth William Zillman had scored after winger Steve Michaels knocked the ball forward from a crossfield kick that was allowed to bounce by Wests Tigers. It was ruled no try.

Wests Tigers centre Blake Ayshford dived over for a try in the 33rd minute after good lead up work by Marshall and half-back Robert Lui.

Marshall converted the try for a 22-0 lead after 34 minutes.
A minute later, Marshall made a 40 metre break but his inside pass just inches from going over the sideline found Titans second-rower Mark Minichiello 20 metres out from the Gold Coast tryline.

Minichiello opened the Titans account in the 37th minute when he pounced on a grubber kick from Zillman to score in the corner after the Titans got the ball following a loose carry by Wests Tigers full-back Tim Moltzen.
Half-back Preston Campbell's attempt hit the left upright and bounced away to leave Wests Tigers leading 22-4 after 38 minutes.

Wests Tigers left the field to a standing ovation to their 22-4 lead at half-time.

2nd Half

Gold Coast reduced the margin to 22-8 when winger David Mead intercepted a pass from Marshall to race 55 metres untouched to score. Campbell converted the try for a 22-10 scoreline after 49 minutes.
Wests Tigers stretched their lead to 26-10 when winger Lote Tuqiri scored in the left corner in the 61st minute after good lead up work by Utai and Marshall. Marshall failed to convert the try.
A nice step back inside by Moltzen saw him brush past two defenders to score behind the posts in the 66th minute. Marshall converted the try for a 32-10 lead.
Moltzen then popped a short ball for lock Chris Heighington to score near the posts. Utility back Mitch Brown converted the try for a 38-10 lead after 78 minutes.
Hooker Robbie Farah popped a field goal in the final seconds for the 39-10 victory.

29/08/2011 8:51:50 PM

No comments: