Monday, April 21, 2014

Rnd 5 - Ron Massey Cup - Match Review

It was almost true Easter at Storey Park last week, with the crucifixion very nearly followed by the resurrection as Asquith needed every bit of their 26-0 halftime lead to hold off a gallant Wests 30-24.

Asquith opened up with sustained pressure on the Wests defence and capitalised by posting the first try after six minutes, as Ben Fisher managed to offload despite a heavy tackle, Jeco Marketo touching down for a 4-0 lead, Jack Hawkins missing the kick to the left.

Asquith posted their second as a kick from Asquith was fumbled on the Wests line, Ina Papera grabbing the ball and falling over the line. Hawkins was on target on this occasion, the home side leading 10-0 after 19 minutes.

Wests looked to spread the ball and were controversially pulled up for a forward pass by Drew Oultram, the resulting scrum seeing Adam Kalcina belt through the Wests defence from 30 metres to go all the way, the kick from in front for Hawkins a mere formality, Asquith posting their 16th point after 23 minutes.

It was becoming a festival for the home side, Asquith’s fourth try, converted, going to Jack Hawkins, who got hands to the ball just inside the dead ball line after a kick through by Aaron Groom for a 22-0 advantage. 

Asquith looked to finish the first half on a high and did so, another grubber kick from Aaron Groom finding space in behind the Wests line, Adam Kalcina notching his second try. Hawkins’ kick went wide, Asquith taking their 26-0 to halftime.

Asquith resumed their siege of the Wests line in the second half, Aaron Groom held up after eight minutes. Two tackles later, though, Asquith again grubbered in behind and Michael Pearsall got through to touch down. Hawkins pushed the kick wide, Asquith up 30-0 with as many minutes remaining.

Asquith’s bid to return the egg that Wests handed them last season ended at 55 minutes as Tunui Maurangi forced his way over with sheer determination. Dayne Craig was on target, Asquith by 30-6, Wests needing 24 points in as many minutes.

Drew Oultram further raised the ire of Wests by allowing Joel Tubbs to play the ball after a double movement. However, from the ensuing set, a Ben Fisher pass went to ground, toed ahead by Michael Stevens and Corey Brown picked the ball up to go 60 metres to score. Craig’s conversion made it 30-12 with 17 to play.

Wests went coast to coast, Sam Hollis doing whatever he needed to to crash over. Dayne Craig’s conversion made it 30-18 with 14 to go. 

As per Easter’s traditions, there was an uprising as Wests sent the ball to the right with a massive overlap, Corey Brown going 50 metres to touch down under the posts. Dayne Craig slotted the kick from in front, Wests clawing back to within six points, nine minutes remaining.

Wests had their chance to secure a draw, however a poor pass from dummy half was ruled forward, Asquith holding on to secure a 30-24 win in their first home game of 2014.

ASQUITH 30 (Adam Kalcina 2, Jeco Marketo, Ina Papera, Jack Hawkins, Michael Pearsall tries; Jack Hawkins 3 from 6) defeated WESTERN SUBURBS 24 (Corey Brown 2, Tunui Maurangi, Sam Hollis tries; Dayne Craig 4 from 4) 

Halftime: Wests 0 Asquith 26

Penalties: Wests 8 Asquith 11


14. Brenton Cowen
3. Sam Aiga
4. Junior Vaivai
15. Corey Brown
5. Jerome Mose
6. Andrew Sultana
7. Michael Stevens
8. Tunui Maurangi
9. Dayne Craig
22. Sam Hollis
11. Nu AKeripa
12. Shane Lalogafau
13. Rusty Bristow

10. Soni Paasi
17. Francis Laulu
19. Fred Tevago
20. Jarrad Szczudlo


1. Jack Hawkins
2. Greg Davis
24. Jeco Marketo
4. Adam Kalcina
5. Michael Pearsall
6. Ben Fisher
7. Aaron Groom
8. Joel Tubs
9. Luke Jay
23. Francis Tuigamala
11. Ina Papera
12. Petros Thanous
13. Joel Latham

14. Brendan Hurd
15. Bryce Holland
16. Josh Nichols
18. Daniel Yasetak

No comments: